With so many options out there, it can be difficult to choose an infant carrier. You will find lots of articles to help you in this blog.
- Comfort. Does it feel good to you?
- Fit for your baby. Does it seem to suit your baby well?
- Fit for you. Does it fit your size and body type? Can you carry the baby without strain?
- Safety. Will the baby be secure and well supported?
- Features. Does it meet your needs?
- Usability. Can you easily get your baby in and out of the infant carrier? How about putting it on and off? Keep in mind that some models require practice.
- Construction. Does the fabric suit your wardrobe, climate and needs? (i.e. lightweight for summer, weatherproof for outdoor use)?
- Care. Is it machine-washable or easy to wipe clean?
- Flexibility. Can you carry your baby in various positions?
- Adjustability. Can the infant carrier be tightened or adjusted to fit you when you are at home in indoor clothing or outside wearing a coat? Can you adjust it easily for use by others?
- Adaptability. Will it work for your baby now as well as six months from now?
- Appearance. Do you like the style? Will you enjoy wearing it?
This article is an excerpt from Gentle Baby Care by Elisabeth Pantley (McGraw-Hill 2003). Reproduced with permission.