Every day in the UK 8 million disposable nappies are thrown away.
There is an alternative available real nappies are reusable, washable nappies and a practical alternative to disposables. They are easy and cheap to use and help reduce rubbish going into landfill.
Leeds City Council has run a real nappy incentive scheme for a number of years to encourage and support families in Leeds who want to save some money and the environment. Since the scheme started the families have saved nearly 700 tonnes of landfill waste.
What is the real nappy incentive scheme?
Parents can either get a free trial pack or £30 cash back when they spend £50 on real nappies.
These are a good way to try the system, especially if it’s your first baby or if you don’t know much about the real nappy system.
The trial pack includes:
- 1 Bum Genius v3 nappy
- 1 Pop-in nappy
- 10 x disposable paper liners
- Instructions and a list of suppliers
These are shaped nappies which can be adjusted to fit as your baby grows.
The cash back option is good if you have already decided to use real nappies. Leeds City Council is offering £30 cash back on purchases over £50 from any supplier. This option does not include nappy accessories and proof of purchase will be required to claim the cash back.
This option allows you to:
- Choose your own style of nappy
- Use a nappy laundering service (see suppliers list)
Am I eligible for the real nappy incentive?
- The child’s parents or guardian must be a resident within Leeds City Council boundary.
- The child must be under 12 months old or the expectant mother in receipt of a Mat B1 form.
- To apply for a trial pack or cash back please download a claim form and return to the address listed below with the relevant documentation as indicated on the claim form.
- One trial pack or cash back is available per child.
Real Nappy Incentive Scheme
Environmental Services Communications Team
Families taking part in the incentive scheme will also be asked to complete a feedback form to help us assess the success of the scheme.
Please note the scheme is subject to availability.