This is from the Exeter Steiner Schools Cookbook and it is a recipe by Emma of Emmas Bread.
Makes 12/14 slices
75g cocoa powder
180g plain flour
2tsp baking powder
250g caster sugar
150g cooked beetroot
3 large eggs
100ml corn or sunflower oil
1tsp vanilla extract
Icing sugar for dusting
1) Lightly butter a 20cm round cake tin
2) Sift cocoa, flour and baking powder into a bowl
3) Mix in sugar and set aside these dry ingredients
4) Puree cooked beetroot or mash
5) Add eggs one at a time to the beetroot then add vanilla extract and oil and whiz or mix until smooth.
6) Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add beetroot mixture and lightly mix together
7) Pour into cake tin
8) Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean, cover with a sheet of foil or greaseproof paper if it starts to brown after 30 mins.
9) The cake will not rise a great deat and the top will crack – all part of it’s character.
10) After removing from the oven leave in tin for 15 mins. Cool on wire rack and dust with icing sugar before serving.